- Advanced Estate and Tax Planning
- Asset Protection Planning: Domestic and International
- International Estate and Tax Planning
- Expert Witness: Trusts (including offshore trusts), Wills
and Will Contests
- Planning with Life Insurance
- Family Business and Succession Planning
- Special Trusts for the Disabled and for Personal Injury
Alexander Bove is an internationally known and respected trust and estate attorney with over thirty-five years of experience. He is an Adjunct Professor of Law, Emeritus, of Boston University Law School Graduate Tax Program, where he taught estate planning and advanced estate planning for eighteen years. In 1998 he was admitted to practice as a Solicitor in England and Wales, and in 2013, he received his Doctorate in Law from the University of Zurich Law School.
Mr. Bove is frequently asked to serve as an expert witness in matters requiring extensive knowledge and experience in the field of trusts, wills, and probate. In relation to those areas, his practice encompasses domestic and international estate planning, and he is regularly consulted by U.S. attorneys and other professionals on issues relating to cross-border estate planning in such jurisdiction as the UK, Italy, Germany, and France, among others. In the course of his practice, Mr. Bove is periodically called upon to serve in the fiduciary capacity of trustee, executor, and conservator.
He has published seven books, including three law books, and one of his books, “The Complete Book of Wills, Estates and Trusts” Holt & Company NY, has over 100,000 copies in print. He is also the editor and contributing author of the two volume set “Asset Protection Strategies” published by the American Bar Association. Mr. Bove is a regular contributor of articles to a number of legal journals, including Trusts & Estates, Estate Planning, Trusts & Trustees (United Kingdom international edition) , and Trusts e Attività-Fiduciarie (Italy). He is also on the editorial board of Trusts & Estates Journal. From 1973 to 1995 he authored the widely acclaimed legal and financial column,
“The Family Money”, for the Boston Globe. His latest book, Trust Protectors – A Practice Manual is available through Juris Publishing.
An internationally known lecturer in his fields of expertise, Mr. Bove has lectured on the subjects of his specialty at the annual Heckerling Tax Institute, annual meeting of the American College of Trust & Estate Counsel (ACTEC), the Association of Advanced Life Underwriters (AALU), the Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT), the Annual Notre Dame Estate Planning Institute, the Southern California Estate Planning Institute, and The International Academy of Estate and Trust Law. Mr. Bove was named in “The Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates” for 2012 – 2013, was named Estate Planner of the Year by the Boston Estate Planning Council, and was elected to the National Estate Planning Hall of Fame in 2014.
- Domestic and international asset
protection plans spanning several jurisdictions and involving a variety of
assets, including real estate, closely held business interests,
liquid investments, and insurance products.
- Development and implementation of
estate plans involving multiple family trusts, intra-family sales
agreements, and family-related entities.
- Consultation and analysis of existing
trust and estate documents, family entities, business and insurance
- Establishment of family foundations
and other planned giving arrangements with the family estate plan.
- Consultation and representation
regarding succession of family businesses, and sales and acquisitions of
- Adjunct Professor of Law: Boston University School of Law,
Graduate Tax Program, 1985-2003
- Lecturer in Law: Northeastern University Law School,
Books and Texts
Articles and Presentations
- Academician: The International Academy of Estate & Trust Law
- Fellow: American College of Trust & Estate Counsel; Member, International Estate
- Former Chair: Asset Protection Committee of the Real Property Probate and Trust Division of the American Bar Association
- Law Society of England and Wales, London, England
- Society of Trusts & Estate Practitioners, London, England
Honors and Awards
- Accredited Estate Planner, National Association of Estate Planning Councils
- Estate Planner of the Year, Boston Estate Planning Council, 1996
- Outstanding Graduate, Suffolk University Law School, 75th Anniversary, 1986
- Boston University School of Law, Graduate Tax Program,
LL.M. in Taxation, 1972
- Suffolk University, J.D., 1967
- Northeastern University, B.B.A., 1963
- Northeastern University, A.E., 1961
- Massachusetts, 1970
- United States Tax Court, 1971
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 1998