“The practice of law is one of the most rewarding professions one could choose. It is consistently challenging in terms of thought, analysis, and problem-solving, while at the same time it is humbling, calling for us to constantly strive to improve ourselves in the profession. But its greatest reward and most enriching feature is the opportunity to meaningfully assist our clients and their families and build long term relationships of trust and confidence. We will never sacrifice that.”
Bove & Langa
10 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02108
Alexander A. Bove, Jr.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org vCard:
Alexander A. Bove Jr. is an internationally known and respected trust and estate attorney with over thirty-five years of experience. He is Adjunct Professor of Law, Emeritus, of Boston University Law School Graduate Tax Program, where he taught estate planning and advanced estate planning for eighteen years. Prior to that he taught estate planning for four years at Northeastern University Law School. In 1998 he was admitted to practice as a Solicitor in England and Wales. In addition to his J.D. and LL.M. degrees, in 2013, he earned his Doctorate in Law from the University of Zurich Law School.
Mr. Bove is frequently asked to serve as an expert witness in matters requiring extensive knowledge and experience in the field of trusts, wills, and probate, and estate planning in general, with emphasis on asset protection planning. In relation to those areas, his practice encompasses domestic and international estate planning, and he is regularly consulted by attorneys and other professionals on issues relating to cross-border estate planning in such jurisdiction as the UK, Italy, Germany, and France, among others. In the course of his practice, Mr. Bove is periodically called upon to serve in the fiduciary capacity of trustee and executor.
He has published seven books, including three law books, and one of his books, “The Complete Book of Wills, Estates and Trusts” Holt & Company NY, has over 100,000 copies in print. He is also the editor and contributing author of the two volume set “Asset Protection Strategies” published by the American Bar Association. Mr. Bove has written and published over 1,000 articles and is a regular contributor of articles to a number of legal journals, including Trusts & Estates, Estate Planning, Trusts & Trustees (Oxford University Press), and Trusts e Attività-Fiduciarie (Italy). He is also on the editorial board of Trusts & Estates Journal. From 1973 to 1995 he authored the widely acclaimed legal and financial column, “The Family Money”, for the Boston Globe. He is also co-columnist with his Partner, Melissa Langa, of the Column, The Trustworthy Advisor, appearing bi- monthly in the Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly. His latest book, Trust Protectors – A Practice Manual With Forms is available through Juris Publishing.
An internationally known and acclaimed lecturer in his fields of expertise, Mr. Bove has lectured on the subjects of his specialty at the annual Heckerling Tax Institute, annual meeting of the American College of Trust & Estate Counsel (ACTEC), the Association of Advanced Life Underwriters (AALU), the Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT), the annual Top of the Table Conference, the Annual Notre Dame Estate Planning Institute, the Southern California Estate Planning Institute, The International Academy of Estate and Trust Law (TIAETL), and the University of Liechtenstein Annual Trust Conference, in addition to numerous other international conferences in England, Italy and Switzerland. He has been named in “The Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates” for 2012 – 2016. He was also named Estate Planner of the Year by the Boston Estate Planning Council and was elected to the National Estate Planning Hall of Fame in 2014. His accomplishments are also noted in Marquis Who’s Who in America 2016 70th Edition. He currently practices law with Bove & Langa, PC, Boston, MA, USA.
- Advanced Estate and Tax Planning
- Asset Protection Planning: Domestic and International
- International Estate and Tax Planning
- Expert Witness: Trusts (including offshore trusts), Wills and Will Contests
- Planning with Life Insurance
- Family Business and Succession Planning
- Special Trusts for the Disabled and for Personal Injury Settlements
- Domestic and international asset protection plans spanning several jurisdictions and involving a variety of assets, including real estate, closely held business interests, liquid investments, and insurance products.
- Development and implementation of estate plans involving multiple family trusts, intra-family sales agreements, and family-related entities.
- Consultation and analysis of existing trust and estate documents, family entities, business and insurance agreements.
- Establishment of family foundations and other planned giving arrangements with the family estate plan.
- Consultation and representation regarding succession of family businesses, and sales and acquisitions of family businesses.
- Adjunct Professor of Law: Boston University School of Law, Graduate Tax Program, 1985-2003
- Lecturer in Law: Northeastern University Law School, 1983-1984
Books and Texts
Articles and Presentations
- Academician: The International Academy of Estate & Trust Law
- Fellow: American College of Trust & Estate Counsel; Member, International Estate Planning Committee
- Former Chair: Asset Protection Committee of the Real Property Probate & Trust Division of the American Bar Association
- Law Society of England and Wales, London, England
- Society of Trusts & Estate Practitioners, London, England
Honors and Awards
- Inducted to the Estate Planning Hall of Fame by the National Association of Estate Planners and Councils (NAEPC) 2015
- Designated Advanced Estate Planner, Distinguished, by NAEPC, 2014
- Served on Massachusetts Uniform Trust Code Committee, 2014
- Best Article of 2004 by Probate & Property Magazine – “The Purpose of Purpose Trusts”
- Accredited Estate Planner, National Association of Estate Planning Councils
- Estate Planner of the Year, Boston Estate Planning Council, 1996
- Outstanding Graduate, Suffolk University Law School, 75th Anniversary, 1986
- Massachusetts, 1970
- United States Tax Court, 1971
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 1998
- Ph.D. Law, University of Zurich, 2014
- Boston University School of Law, Graduate Tax Program, LL.M. in Taxation, 1972
- Suffolk University, J.D., 1967
- Northeastern University, B.B.A., 1963
- Northeastern University, A.E., 1961